OUR MISSION / OUR VALUES
- Through the study and learning of a foreign language we aim to offer our students, and ourselves, the opportunity to grow, compare and therefore improve.
- To contribute to the increase in communication and exchanges between different cultures.
The Values we believe in:
- Maintaining the right balance between professionalism and familiarity in interpersonal relationships.
- Caring for the learning and individual needs of every single student
- Creating a calm working environment which encourages personal and professional growth and mutual respect.
- Continual improvement.
The INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL (as it was formerly called) was established in 1964 by Christa Willauer.
- BRITISH SCHOOL: From the very beginning we have been part of this chain of schools
- AISLI: In 1980 we joined AISLI - Associazione Italiana Scuole di Lingua
- UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE: We are the only Authorised Centre in the area for the main suite exams (KET, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE) and for TKT and ILEC, and we have been so since 1984
- EXPERIMENT: In 2004 we also joined this International Association, in order to give our students the opportunity of living a ‘foreign exchange’ experience
The school is situated on the first and second floors of a modern building in the town centre and is a five-minute-walk from the beach.
- Ages range from preschoolers to adults.
- Levels are from Beginner to Proficiency.
- Classes are divided by age into Pre-school, Kids, Juniors, Seniors and Adults and are subdivided within these bands by level.
- Maximum number of students in a class is 12.
- The school prepares students for Cambridge Exams (YLE, KET, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE, BEC) and IELTS.
- Most lessons last between 60 and 130 minutes and teachers have short breaks between lessons.
- Standard courses run from September until June.
- Each student in each class is provided with a coursebook for use in class and a workbook for use at home.
- Two computer rooms.
- Two colourful classrooms dedicated solely to young and very young learners, with Interactive Whiteboards and a range of supplementary materials for young learners.
- Computer in every room and Wi-Fi internet access in all the school.
- An extensive library with a wide range of photocopiable resources and Teacher Development books and journals.
- IWB software to accompany the main coursebooks
- School Intranet (for accessing timetables, registers and communicating with staff) and Extranet (each student has their own account and can see a record of their lessons, homework, upcoming events etc.).
- Macmillan English Campus software for use with the students.
TEACHERS’ DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPORT
Great importance is placed on the professional development of the staff within the school. In-house training, observation and peer observation is all part of the teacher’s development.
- A fully paid induction week is held for all new teachers at the beginning of each academic year.
- Training sessions have been held by trainers such as Mario Rinvolucri and Simon Marshall from Pilgrims, Adrian Underhill, Naomi Moir from OUP, etc.
- Regular training sessions, observations (with written feedback) and twice-yearly appraisals encourage your growth as a teacher.